OK, so this post is probably going to be mostly opaque to non-programmers, but that's fine. It's a rant. You don't have to understand it.
When I first inherited this web app, one of the first things I did was to move various display logic (namely, the URLs of icons) out of the database and into the display side. I did this in a somewhat "hackish" sort of way by just creating URLs named after the primary keys of the table. (A cleaner way might be to use CSS.)
Any way, time goes on and I move on to other things. Eventually I'm asked to come back and help clean some things up.
I finally gave in and created a Facebook account. It'll be interesting to see if anyone finds me and adds me. (It did actually list quite a few people I know when I created the account. Which I then basically skipped past. This is either laziness or depression, take your pick.)
Interestingly enough, Facebook can import RSS feeds, so I've pointed my account at my existing blog, which I post to almost never.
I came across someone using a MySQL SET where they really should have been using a many-to-many mapping table. Wanting to know more about SET, though, I decided to open the MySQL documentation and look up SET in the index:
In case you're wondering, every other line if you scroll down reads "SET" with a location of "MySQL 5.0 Reference Manual."
So I'm creating a webpage using Microsoft Visual Studio. (And so far, both times I've had to write that, I managed to typo "Studio" into "Stupid," which seems to be more appropriate.)
It defaults to creating an XHTML page, and validates it in real-time. (Which is, honestly, a cool feature.)
Unfortunately, I want to support Internet Explorer, so I attempt to change it to an HTML 4.01 Strict page. No-go: Visual Studio decides it's still XHTML Transitional and starts bitching about missing items.