Oscar Picks 2011
The 2011 Oscar Awards are coming up, and I guess the thing to do is to make picks about who you think is going to win.
Unfortunately, I don't know movies. The only movie I saw in 2010 was Avatar, and, well, it already got its awards. So, since I can't make any picks, I have a much better idea: let MD5 make picks.
I'm going to be allowing the MD5 hashing algorithm decide. For the sake of this blog post, lowest hash value of the movie name plus who was nominated wins. (Or which song in the case of the Music, Original Song category.) Full results after the break.
- BEST PICTURE
- Toy Story 3 - Darla K. Anderson
- ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
- Jeff Bridges - True Grit
- ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
- John Hawkes - Winter's Bone
- ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
- Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine
- ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
- Melissa Leo - The Fighter
- ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
- How to Train Your Dragon - Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois
- ART DIRECTION
- True Grit - Jess Gonchor (Production Design); Nancy Haigh (Set Decoration)
- Inception - Wally Pfister
- COSTUME DESIGN
- I Am Love - Antonella Cannarozzi
- Black Swan - Darren Aronofsky
- DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
- Restrepo - Tim Hetherington and Sebastian Junger
- DOCUMENTARY SHORT SUBJECT
- Killing in the Name - Jed Rothstein
- FILM EDITING
- The King's Speech - Tariq Anwar
- FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
- Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi) - Algeria
- The Way Back - Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
- MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
- The Social Network - Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
- MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
- Toy Story 3 - "We Belong Together" - Music and Lyric by Randy Newman
- SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
- Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary) - Bastien Dubois
- SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
- God of Love - Luke Matheny
- SOUND EDITING
- Tron: Legacy - Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
- SOUND MIXING
- Inception - Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
- VISUAL EFFECTS
- Hereafter - Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojansky and Joe Farrell
- WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
- Winter's Bone - Adapted for the screen by Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini
- WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
- The Fighter - Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson. Story by Keith Dorrington & Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson
There you have it. My Oscar picks, as chosen by the lowest MD5 hash value.
For the nerds: the text document containing the exact text hashed and the Perl script used to generate the results.
Edit: Oops, I managed to screw that script up so that it skipped the last entry. Both this page and the script is now fixed.
Also, I wanted to point out that the "foreign language films" being listed by country and not foreign language - such that one is apparently in Canadian - is straight from the Oscars website itself, not something I did.