It sounds like Square Enix is in fact going to listen to some of the complaints about Final Fantasy XIV. Sadly, the list is too funny to skip because they're all features that should never have missed beta, let alone release:
–Inventory Sort Feature
The late-November version update will include the addition of a feature that will allow players to sort their inventories.
Really?! Late November?!!! I have to reiterate: How did this miss closed beta, never mind release?!
- Players will be able to scroll their maps via dragging the mouse
- A player's current coordinates will now be displayed on the main map
- A player's current coordinates will now be displayed on journal maps (as long as the player is in the same area)
- Players will be able to relay their current coordinates to others using the text command <pos>
- The area name will be added to journal maps
- A journal map feature will be added to the main map
- The log window will no longer be hidden when maps are displayed
Wow, with these features added, the game will have advanced to the technology level of their previous MMO. Actually, I suppose the "journal map" stuff is new, but I have no idea what they mean by "journal map" - I'm assuming it's the map that gets displayed when you select "Map" under "Quests." It's not terribly useful since you can't use it for levequests. Come to think of it, the dragging the map with the mouse is also technically new, since XI's maps weren't large enough to require it.
Players will be able to use Ctrl+R to send instant replies to /tells
This feature is actually already there - it just doesn't work. Good for 'em.
The Home and End keys will now function in the chat log
...um, how did this miss the beta release? Actually, I think it took ages for XI to gain that feature, so, um,...
Previously completed quests will now appear in players' journals
Could have sworn they're already supposed to. Bug fixes as new features, yay!
- Adjustments will be made to target priority when using the Tab key to cycle through nearby targets
- When targeting a party member, a target mark will now appear next to the target's name in the party member list
- Players will be able to target party members via the party member list
I really hope the first one means "you'll target enemies that are attacking you." The party stuff are also changes that are long overdue.
- Several new functions will be added to the keyboard, such as a key used for targeting NPCs
- Players will now be able to re-map all functions to any key (other than Esc)
...more features that should have been implemented before beta...
Looking beyond the late-November version update, the team is also working on introducing drag and drop functionality to the Equipment & Gear and Actions & Traits menus, map markers indicating the location of party members, a method to initiate message input in the chat log without having to press the space bar, and more.
Wow! More features that will bring the game into the last decade!
I suppose it's a good thing that they're in fact listening to feedback and are going to improve the game. It makes me hopeful that some day, this will be a game I legitimately want to play.